So, here we go! I finally have perfected Parmesan Chicken! Thanks to Chef Ramsey and watching Chopped! Yup! “’It’s Raw” stuck in my head.
So, the trick here is the browning in the pan, then finishing in the oven. You will end up with gorgeous chicken parmesan! And, of course, the trick to ensuring the chicken is cooked to perfection!
The chicken should be firm, but not rubbery. It should also not be tight – as this is a sign of overcooking. Not sure what Rubbery is? Then, check the chicken when pulling it out of the oven by cutting into 1 piece. If it is pink, put it back in for 10 minutes and check again! Better to be under cooked and back in the oven, rather than over cooked. Over Cooked can’t be fixed!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs (I used Panko, because I love the thicker bread crumbs. But, you can use whatever type you want.)
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (Here you can change the seasoning to a spicy or Italian. Or, whatever you like. Be creative!!)
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan* See notes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise – per breast
- Italian Parsley
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Your Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the chicken breast between 2 pieces of Parchment or wax paper (I double fold to save paper.) Then, pound the Chicken (OK, You will need a mallet! Or, something to beat your chicken thin! Get that stress out of you!!)
- Beat the chicken, until it is about ½ inch thick
- Cover both sides of the chicken breast with a tablespoon of Mayonnaise
- Place the Bread Crumbs, Seasoning, and Parmesan in a large bowl and mix well
- Get the pan ready. Place on Medium/High heat with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Dip the chicken in the bread crumb mixture
- When the pan is hot (place your hand to feel heat – Do you feel heat?), then place the chicken in the pan. (If you don’t hear it sizzling, pull it out and wait a few minutes, then try again.)
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. You’re only trying to brown it at this point.
- When both sides are golden brown, place in an 8” X 9” baking dish. (I use a rack also in the baking dish to ensure the bottom of the chick is crisp. But, you don’t need this.)
- Place the dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When it’s done, pull it out. Check by cutting into 1 piece to see if it is still pink. If it is, return to the oven for 5 minutes increments.
- Pour a little of your spaghetti sauce over the pieces of chicken and sprinkle with a little more Parmesan cheese. Then, return to the oven, until the Parmesan is melted.
- Place a bed of spaghetti on your plate with a spoonful of your spaghetti sauce. Top with your chicken. Sprinkle with Italian Parsley.
There are several kinds of cheese:
I like a fresh grated, as it is more flavorful than other shredded. And, crumbled is too chunky!
Hope you enjoy!